Best riding lawn mower reviews of 2020, are you searching to make your lawn looks better? You can find your best riding mower from here after reading these reviews of 3 best mowers in 2020. A riding mower can be the best option or alternatives of your push mower that can makes your lawn work easier. These are very powerful and efficient mower (it’s a small version of tractor) which specially designed for large lawn such as – 3/4 acres. Before buy one, you must look for some features like – cutting width size, engine, transmission system, durability, comfortable seat, etc. If you have large lawn area then you can go for this types of mower otherwise not because it’s expensive.
Top 3 Riding Lawn Mower Reviews
1. Troy-Bilt 382cc Auto Choke OHV 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower
This great little mower called the TB30 is ideal for medium sized lawns of half to one acre relatively smooth terrain. Troy Bilt is a renowned manufacturer of agricultural equipment. It has a good top speed of 4.25 mph and is equipped with a six speed gear transmission. It weighs 340 lbs. It comes with a two year warranty.
- At its widest point, it is 34” across and has a cutting deck of 30” which makes it easy to store or pass through a fence gate
- The engine is a 382cc Auto Choke OHV, which is a superior engine.
- Manual power take off makes it immediately engage cutting deck.
- Good turn radius of 18”makes sharp unplanned turns possible.
- Easy to assemble, takes less than half an hour.
- Adjustable seat to fit all sizes of people and accommodate long legs also.
- Slippery foot rest
- There is only one seat fastening spring and a flimsy one at that
- Getting it off the delivery truck is a bit difficult. You need a two wheeler hand truck to get it off the pallet it comes on.
- The blade does not work in reverse gear
- The highest setting of 2. 75” from the ground is not high enough. Causes scalping of lawns which have taller grass
- Cheap looking throttle label
2. Yard Machines 420cc 42-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
From the house of MTD, a worldwide leader in the manufacture of outdoor power equipment, this mower from Yard Machines is also considered by some to be the best riding mower. This one is also fitted with a 420cc Powermore engine which makes it easy to climb hilly areas. It comes with mulching and bagging capabilities. There is a two year limited product warranty.
- Good for hilly areas
- 7 speed gear system
- 42”blade that can cut a wider area than most riding lawn mowers
- The design of the brake system being simple makes production easier and cost of the product a little less
- It is easy to assemble
- It has a cup holder
- The engine is easy to maintain. Opening and cleaning it is not difficult at all
- Claims to be anti-scalp on account of the two deck gauge wheels
- It has headlights
- Shift on the go system, an alternative braking system, is considered to be the cause of brake failing earlier than other brands and models.
- Attachments like grass catcher has to be bought separately
- Very small fuel tank at 1.36 gallons
- Weight is 520 lbs making it quite heavy
- Does not mow in reverse
3. Husqvarna 960430211 YTA22V46 22 HP Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal 46-inch Tractor Mower
Husqvarna tractors offer premium performance. The pedal operated transmissions allow you to adjust the forward and reverse speeds smoothly, with a lot of variation possible. It comes with a Briggs & Stratton 22hp engine and is provided with a cutting width of 46″. With different accessories , it can perform ridging, edging and dehatching. Moves on sturdy 15X6.6 inch front and 20 X8.8 inch rear wheel tyres.
- Fast auto transmission, which is maintenance-free.
- Spring-assisted fender-mounted cutting height adjustment for easy operation.
- Air induction mowing technology improves the cutting mechanism.
- 5 hp powerful Briggs & Stratton engine.
- It has a deck wash port to connect your water hose to clean the underside of the deck easily.
- It has a 3 year limited warranty from the company and a 5 year consumer warranty for the frame chassis and front axle.
- Foot pedal needs constant pressure, leading to strain on the legs. In other aspects too, this is not very well designed to give comfort while mowing the lawn. Hard seat and seat back.
- No anti scalp wheels.
Bonus+ Reviews 🙂
1. Husqvarna YTH2042 42-Inch 20 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek Lever Activated Hydrostatic Transmission Riding Lawn Tractor
It comes with very powerful engine (20 HP Stratton & Briggs) which can cut mower at 42-inch width and 1.5 to 4 inches height. If you are searching for a powerful one then you must check out this Yard Tractor Husqvarna 24 HP. Also it has adjustable seat, height adjustment cutting system, and steering wheel is ergonomic which is easy to use to ensure comforts while mowing. Husqvarna YTH2042 is made to last long. It applies air induction technology for getting top level cutting performance. I liked this mower for its controlling, easy speed mode, easy storage, hydrostatic transmission that can gives best mowing experience. Though it’s a bit expensive but its quality will value your money and you will have 3 years warranty.
2. Poulan Pro PB17542LT 17.5 HP 6-Speed 42-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
Poulan Pro PB17542LT is comes with 17.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine that features 42-inch cutting deck with drive transmission of 6 gear speed. This riding lawn mower is designed for best performance as well as durable to last long. You can buy this mini lawn tractor within a reasonable price. Its high back seat, manual clutch and flexible steering wheel is very comfortable. If you have previous mowing experience with a riding mower then you will understand why it’s important to look for comfort. This is a well build mower with a professional look. I picked Poulan Pro PB17542LT into No.2 position because of its efficiency and easy to operate system. In one sentence: it has a powerful engine, easy storage, reasonable price, high fuel efficiency, durable, comfortable, easy control and easy to clean.
3. Husqvarna 967181801 R120S Articulating 42-Inch Riding Mower
If you desire more from a riding lawn mower then you must go for this model Husqvarna 967181801 R120S. It has a powerful engine 19.5HP (Briggs and Stratton) with hydrostatic transmission which is pedal-operated. It applied air induction method to give best cutting performance. Adjustable cutting height and easy operating systems are the best part of this mower. Its operator seat position creates low gravity for traction, stability and safety on both ground likes – hillside and flat. I like its ergonomic steering wheel which makes it very comfortable to operate. You can also cut grasses into corners and under park benches because of its front-mounted cutting deck. You can get more details and latest price ideas of this lawn tractor from below link of amazon.
4. Poulan Pro PB155G42-CARB 6-Speed 42-Inch Riding Lawn Mower
This is another best riding lawn mower model of Poulan Pro which comes with 15.5 HP (Briggs and Stratton) engine. It has 42 inch cutting deck (best for large to mid size lawn) with desk height adjustment from 6 positions. This is an impressive mower which has high turning radius. It has adjustable mid back seat for best comfort. Its turf saver for front tires are 15×6 – 6 inch and rear tires are 20×8 – 8 inch. Poulan Pro PB155G42 also has 6 speed gear transmission for best performance. If you have more than ¼ acre lawn then you must go for this model. You can follow amazon link below to know the latest price and more specification about this mower.
Why buy a riding lawn mower
Riding lawn mowers are an expected upgrade from the walk behind lawn mowers, as surely as you advance in your choice of dwelling spaces. Where a walk mower was sufficient, large gardens and lawns upwards of half an acre definitely require a riding lawn mower. The powerful engine of a riding lawn mower will help you tackle those hilly tracts and ridges which would get tiring with a walk mower. You save on time too.
Riding mowers – What to look for
Obviously, your lawn is more than half an acre so you have decided to go for a riding tractor. It can be a difficult decision to decide which one to go for. Some points to consider are:
- Kind of terrain. A hilly terrain would require a better hp engine. A Zero turn mower would help navigate obstacles if any etc.
- Favorable online reviews and opinions of your neighbors who use riding lawn mowers. There is nothing like actual user experience of knowledge of the machine’s little quirks, surprises or shortfalls.
- Based on your budget, go for a well known brand. The prices of riding lawn mowers are upwards of one thousand dollars usually. There are dependable brands across the range. A used lawn mower is also a great option, for which you must pay no more than 60-70% of the retail cost and that too only if it is in good condition. Look for special discounts.
- Look for a mower fitted with a well known engine brand. Briggs & Stratton, Honda and Kawasaki are the best ones.
What features matter most
- Handling – depending on your lawn, you would have to choose among a front drive, rear drive and a zero turn handle. Rear drives are better for hilly terrains and for bagging.
- Speed – Look for variable speeds and a good top speed if you have a large expanse of lawn and want to get the job done fast.
- Cutting width – larger the lawn, look for a greater cutting width. Of course, if you have a narrow gate, that also has to be taken into consideration.
- Additional features – what more do you want your mower to do like mulching, bagging etc. or if you want to increase the efficiency of your mower, like tire chains to increase traction.
- Engine matters – Cooling lubricating oil system should have an oil filter. Twin cylinder engine is more powerful than a single engine system for a larger lawn.
- Transmissions – Automatic or hydrostatic gear systems are better than manual or gear driven transmission, but costlier. If you have a smooth lawn, without flower beds and obstacles, the manual transmission is enough.
- Maintenance and service – A vendor who can assure these is always a better choice.
What are the different types of Riding mowers?
- Lawn tractors – which have their cutting decks underneath the mower with an engine swathe of 42’’ – 54’’. Provided with front engines for greater stability. Cost between one and two thousand dollars.
- Zero turn mowers – with their cutting decks in front of the mower. They are highly maneuverable hence their name. They have twin steering levers which control the rear wheels individually. These also have rear engines. Prices begin at $2500.
- Rear engine mowers are ideal for smaller lawns of under half an acre. They are a bit unstable on slopes since the engine weight is at the rear. The cost ranges from under 1000 dollars to 2000 dollars. One can get a good lawn tractor for this price.
Who is it for?
Riding mowers are for those who need to tend to lawns greater than half an acre. Lawns which have hilly terrains and mounds benefit from a riding mower greatly. It is also helpful for senior citizens.
Riding lawn mower reviews are important sources of information, whether it is while deciding to buy a riding mower or troubleshooting. There are many online reviews available from independent sources like popularmechanics.com, info.com, telegraph.co.uk which review the company as well as the product. They feature individual reviews of products as well as comparative reviews so that you can decide which the best option is.
Accessories enhance the functionality of your riding lawn mower. Every manufacturer has standard attachment facilities on their mowers for things like:
- Utility dump cart.
- Snow blade.
- Tire chains for traction.
- Grass/ leaf catchers.
- Bagger and mulching kits.
You also get haulers, chippers, shredders, vacuums, snow blowers and snow throwers. Sunshades and snow cabs offer protection. Blade removal tools are available for servicing purposes.
How to use a riding lawn mower
- First check if your lawn mower has sufficient fuel. Fill in the gasoline if required before starting to use the mower. While filling up gasoline, make sure that the mower is shut down. Moreover avoid filling the mower indoors, do not smoke and do not fill gas during operation. Having an adequate level of gas in tanks is important for efficient running.
- Climb on the mower and comfortably settle down on the seat. There may be a safety switch under the seat and this would prevent the mower engine to start if there is not adequate amount of weight sensed.
- Make sure that the mower is on brake and the blades of mower are disengaged.
- Set the cutting height of the mower according to requirements of job.
- Pull the string to get the lawn mower engine to start.
- Turn off the safety switch.
- Pull a proper control in order to get the blades engaged.
- Shift the mower in first gear with the use of the shift knob. This would let your lawn mower begin to move forward.
- Control the directions and movement of your riding lawn mower like you use steering wheel of a car.
- Travel forward for mowing of your lawn. Ride-on mowers are capable of running backwards too however we recommend you to mow in a forward direction as doing it the other way can make the mower travel in to objects and can cause accidental damages. Your mower may also flip over.
- Mow the lawn in horizontal or vertical rows and make parallel lines in order to make sure that no area is left.
- On the slopes, mow in up direction and down. Do not go sideways as it increases the chances of flipping over. Never stop or turn when riding mower on a slope. If you need to change direction or stop, reach top of the slope first.
- Try to avoid running over hard rocks and holes as it can damage your mower and can create chances of flipping over that may cause some injury or serious damage.
- When you are done with your lawn mowing job, disengage blades and throttle down.
Important Tips for Using a Riding Lawn Mower
- Thoroughly go through instructions mentioned in the operator’s manual before beginning to use the riding lawn mower.
- Begin by starting mower in a wide open space where there are no holes, obstacles and people around you.
- Avoid ditches, holes, and rocks for mowing.
- Do not mow when you have kids playing around you or you have pets in your lawn.
- Never operate mower when you are in influence of alcohol or any medication.
- Wear tight fitted clothes, sturdy shoes, ear and eye protection (safety glasses).
- Make sure that your hands and feet are away from the parts that rotate on your mower.
- Keep the machine out of reach of children. Only adults may use a riding mower.
- Ride alone on the mower.
- Replace grass catcher bags that have worn out.
- We recommend you not to use riding lawn mower on wet grass.
- Have your mower speed reduced on slopes and while turning.
- Check the entire safety devices and guards placement.
- Check all the bolts for being tighten.
- Avoid having direct contact with parts that are hot.
- Do not get off the mower when it is running.
Reverse Use of Riding Lawn Mower
It is important to know how you can properly operate ride-on mowers in reverse and there are some basics steps to it.
Set the mower to reverse mode!
- Stop the mower completely.
- Turn mower blades off.
- Depress pedal of brake.
- Shift the mower lever in the reverse position.
- Set the key to reverse or caution mode.
- Push the blade lever to engage blades.
- Before launching a move, make sure that the area behind you doesn’t make any objects and is clear to operate.
Care and Maintenance Tips
Taking care of your riding lawn mower well can ensure that it works for years. Any maintenance work should be done in a well ventilated lit area on a flat surface, with the owner’s manual kept open in front of you, strictly following the instructions. The battery should be disconnected first.
Every time you mow, you should look for loose fasteners, shields or deflectors. Tyres should be fully inflated and brakes tested. The oil level should be checked with a dipstick. After use, brush clean the deck.
Twice a season, lubricate the spindles and pivot points. Check and replace the air filter if required. Check the blades for any dent and replace if it is damaged. Change the oil replacing the oil filter as you do so.
At the end of every season, clean the engine cooling fins with a brush or compressed air. And check that the muffler and spark arrestor aren’t rusted or loose. It is a good idea to replace the spark plugs once a year. Replace the fuel filter also.
Remove and thoroughly clean the mower deck. Check the condition of the drive belts. Replace them if cracked or worn. Change the blade once a year. Reinstall the deck and check its level.
For storing away your mower for the winter follow the manufacturer’s guide regarding the fuel. Remove the spark plug, squirt some oil into the hold, and put back the spark plug. Remove the battery and store it in a place where it will not freeze. Store your mower too in a clean, dry area.
In conclusion, we realize how important a riding lawn mower is, and how to choose what is the best riding lawn mower for the money. Maintenance is very important and with a good maintenance schedule, for years to come anybody owning a large garden and equipped with a riding lawn mower does not have to worry about an unkempt lawn. Your gardening woes are over!